The Center for Medicare Advocacy is seeking a staff member for this immediate, full-time position in our Washington, DC office.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Administrative Assistant is responsible for providing high-quality, confidential assistance, reception, office management and information/referral services in a professional yet friendly and compassionate manner for the Center for Medicare Advocacy’s Washington, DC office. The Administrative Assistant will be responsible for all general office duties and assistance to other staff in the DC office and in collaboration with staff in the CT office.
- Responsible for all reception duties, including answering main telephone line, responding or referring calls as appropriate, greeting visitors, and communicating with vendors.
- Responsible for all essential office duties including maintenance of a clean, orderly, and well-stocked office; providing basic equipment trouble-shooting, repairs or appropriate and timely calls for assistance; faxing, copying, and preparation of materials.
- Assist with word processing, Power Point, written and electronic documents, presentations, meetings, conferences, and business-related arrangements.
- Provide accurate general information and referrals for callers, relayed in a confident and compassionate manner, including for individuals calling with Medicare coverage, appeal, and related questions.
- Coordinate with the staff to prioritize work duties in a collegial manner.
- Track and manage, in conjunction with other relevant staff, the distribution of materials produced by DC staff.
- Act as primary liaison with the organization’s IT and facilities administrator, CT Information and Referral staff, and others in the organization, as necessary, for the smooth functioning of the DC office and organization as a whole.
- Act as liaison with office building management, in conjunction with the Managing Attorney.
- Keep track of supplies and re-order in conjunction with appropriate CT staff when necessary.
- Assist DC staff members with time sheets and other required internal documentation.
- Assist with all mailings and other distribution needs.
- Distribute mail and faxes to appropriate staff members.
- Prepare and post all mail for pick up and ensure daily delivery.
- Prepare UPS, Fed Ex, and other similar materials for pick up.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist with all office and receptionist tasks not specified above as needed.
- Assist, as necessary, in developing the Center’s delivery of excellent services and in growing its reputation as an outstanding, responsive leader in advancing access to Medicare, quality health care, and defending the rights of older people and people with disabilities.
- Assist in assuring the entire organization, and the DC Office in particular, runs smoothly and effectively.
- Other related responsibilities, as necessary.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be detail-oriented, thorough, accurate, reliable and able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Experience with all modern office technologies is required. Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience is needed. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This individual shall ensure the confidentiality of the organization's project, employee, client, and funding information at all times, before and after employment with the Center.
The individual in this position must be willing to adhere to all safety rules and procedures. It is expected the individual will perform all duties in a safe manner and verify procedures with supervisors before undertaking any risky activity.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform those essential functions.
The individual in this position is required to spend a great deal of time speaking with individuals on the telephone via a handset or a headset.
While performing the duties of this job the employee may be required to retrieve records from shelves, cabinets, drawers or boxes at various heights. The employee is required to use basic office equipment. The employee may be required to lift boxes and stacks of files. The employee may need to sit for long periods of time. The employee may be required to read information from a computer screen and make notes regarding said information for long periods of time.
Send Resume to:
Center for Medicare Advocacy
P.O. Box 350, Willimantic, CT 06226